How frustrating it can be once you realize your laptop is running slow, especially when your system takes like an hour to perform and complete just a simple task.
Today I will share some Windows optimization tips on your Windows operating system for better performance.
Use Windows Disk Cleanup Tool
Disk Cleanup can help you prevent your windows from keeping too many unnecessary files such as temporary files, delivery optimization files, installation files etc.
To start up your Disk Cleanup :
- Go to My Computer or This PC. Select the primary hard drive (C:), right Click on the drive and go to Properties.
- Go to General > Disk Cleanup > Clean up system files and choose which files you want to remove and click Ok.
You can see how much space your hard drive will save after you get rid of all those the junk files.
Try Windows Disk Defragmenter
This utility helps increase hard disk efficiency and access speed. All the fragmented files system on the hard drive is one of the reasons why your laptop is getting slower than usual.
Disk Defragmenter rearranges fragmented files system and data on your hard drive. This process is called defragmentation.
Defragmentation process may take more than an hour because it depends on your hard drive capacity and the numbers of files.
How to check your hard disk drive (HDD)
- Press the Start button and type “defrag“
- Then select Defragment and Optimize Drives
- Select the drive you want to check and click Analyze
Disk Defragmenter will determine whether you need to do the defragmentation or not. Disk Defragmenter runs on a schedule, usually once a week.
I recommend you to check your drive twice a month if you frequently use your laptop.
***Note: This Tip doesn’t apply to the modern SSD (Solid-State Drive) type drives.
Limit Windows Startup Process
There’s a lot of programs running in your system background without you noticing it. Most of the downloaded programs, their software manufacture designed and set the programs runs when windows start.
You don’t need those programs to run all the time, you decide which are important to run at startup. For examples, programs like Driver Reviver, Adobe Photoshop, and iTunes maybe should just stay closed until the time you need to use them or access a specific file.
To disable unnecessary startup programs for Windows 8 and 10 :
- Launch Task Manager by pressing Ctrl+Shift+Esc
- On the Startup tab, right click on the programs you want to disable and click Disable.
For Windows 7 and older :
- Just search for the System Configuration > Startup tab
- Clear the check box next to the programs name you want to disable.
Free some disk space
One of the major problem cause your laptop to runs slow is because your disk space is almost full. Free up your disk space by uninstalling the programs you never used in your hard drive.
To uninstall a program you need to :
- Hit the Windows button, search Control Panel
- Open Control Panel > Program and Features
- Select any programs you want to remove, right click on it, and uninstall
For Windows 10 users click here → Windows 10 Apps & Features
For the beginners, I recommend you to be more careful, do not uninstall any programs you are not so sure about.
Delete your old and unused files
- Delete old files such as video, software installer, documents etc in the Downloads folder. Select all the files you no longer use and delete all of them and just keep the important ones.
- I recommend you use an external storage drive to keep your important files, so it can free up more space on your laptop primary hard drive.
Virus & Spyware Infections
Laptop or PC (personal computer) that is infected by a virus, spyware, and malicious software can cause your system to crawl. Scan your laptop and PC using any anti-virus and anti-spyware programs, it is advisable that you constantly update your anti-virus programs.
You can also use the default and free Microsoft Windows anti-virus, the Windows Defender or Microsoft Security Essential. This free antivirus provides your laptop real-time protection against viruses, spyware and other malicious software.
Adjusting Your Windows Visual Effects
Windows Animations, slides, shadow effects, Windows aero peek etc make your windows systems appearance looks cool.
These awesome effects use some additional resource causing your pc to run slower. Especially if your personal computer is using a smaller amount of memory or RAM (Random-Access Memory).
By disabling some of these effects, it can help you increase your system performance.
To adjust the visual effects in windows :
- Windows 10
- Hit the Windows button and type “perform” and click Adjust the appearance and performance of windows
- On the Visual Effects tab, adjust your windows visual effects by selecting the following options
- Windows 8
- Press Windows+x combination button
- Select System. In System window go to Advanced system settings
- On System Properties window go to Advanced tab and click on performance ‘setting…’
- Windows 7
- Select Control Panel in Start menu
- Go to System. In System window go to Advanced system settings
- On System Properties window go to Advanced tab and click performance ‘setting…’
On the Visual effects tab select Adjust for best performance or you can choose custom option and try the different settings.
There are benefits for you by optimizing your Windows, it doesn’t just boost up your laptop performance a little but it may help you save some time before buying the new fancy one. Something we missed? Add your comment below.